This was a reply to a comment on the livestream titled, Sparta: Socialism in Principle, Aristocracy in Practice —Plutarch Gaiden 3.5
There's a kind of stunned silence that people manage to sustain for a lifetime: the vast majority of people absolutely cannot deal with the reality of what they see on the page —and they retreat into some kind of excuse-making mentality that is quite alien to me (i.e., this is some kind of reflex or instinct I do not have).
I have heard Muslims and Ex-Muslims talk about this (more rarely, Scientologists), namely: an instinct to slip into a kind of reverie rather than deal with the brutal reality of JUST HOW STUPID AND EVIL the "sacred text" is that you're staring at —and just how stupid and evil your own friends and relatives must be (possibly also university professors, etc.) to make excuses for it.
I am both adored and despised for discussing so many topics that the majority of members of my audience can't handle: I can absolutely guarantee that NOBODY is going to discuss this with me. It's harder for (modern, English-speaking) people to deal with than all the delusions and demons I've slayed before. And I remind you: it is incredibly difficult (e.g.) for women to recognize that they've inflicted brain damage on their own children by taking drugs during pregnancy (to give just one example out of hundreds of "truths too terrible to tell" that have been told on à-bas-le-ciel).
