Thursday 17 January 2019

…my point is, rather, "I'm asking the right questions".



Q: "[how] do you see creating fine art and music?"  This is the part few people suspect: I'm extremely self-critical, and I really do openly discuss (also) the extent to which even learning languages and doing humanitarian work is a waste of time (I think that, e.g., a military veteran could also talk about both the ways in which being in the army is edifying, and also the ways in which it is a waste of time).  I regard your question as legitimate and as giving rise to several interesting answers (and I probably have talked about it a few times, somewhere in my trail of 1,200 videos) —but I also enjoy genuinely reflecting on (e.g.) the extent to which the most sincere efforts imaginable at "improving yourself/society" (through reading or humanitarian work) can turn out to be a waste of time.  I think the whole discourse would be meaningless if I proceeded from a dogmatic position of, "I have all the answers", but my point is, rather, "I'm asking the right questions".

Link 1: The Philosophy of Stupidity: Video Games vs. Books vs. Reality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxwRASH8x6I

Link 2: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_Nussbaum