Thursday 20 July 2023

Quitting YouTube: "This has become a company that creators hate."

Humans make mistakes:

I have a video that was first banned for being racist...

I appealed, explaining that the video is NOT racist...

that appeal was accepted

but suddenly

after the video was uncensored for NOT being racist

a reviewer decided it contains nudity.

So the video was banned again.

Then I received an email from YouTube admitting that the video contains zero nudity, admitting that a mistake had been made.

Then (just as suddenly) I received an email that the video will be restricted to viewers over 18 because of nudity.


The video contains ZERO nudity: it does not have women in bikinis.  It is just a lecture against racism (with quotations from the racist people I'm criticizing).


I'm told the same thing you're telling me now: "all decisions are final, no appeal is possible."

Why?

Anyone who is not blind would agree: the video does not contain nudity.


I've brought more than seven million views to YouTube with the work of my hands.

Why should I be treated this way?

People like me now deeply hate and resent YouTube: we are all waiting for a competitive website to give us an alternative.  The people who should feel gratitude toward YouTube instead feel hatred.


Your website now has advertisements on my video with over 18,000 views: you make money out of it, but I don't.  You say the video is too provocative to monetize: but you've monetized it for yourself, while refusing to share the advertising revenue with me --while falsely claiming that the video is violent, racist or excessively sexy (and that the arbitrary decisions of your staff in India are final no matter how obviously false).


It is not possible to get a human being to look at a video and agree, "this does not contain nudity".  It is not possible to get a human being to look at a video and agree, "Okay, I can see that you're quoting a Nazi while condemning Nazism, and that this video shouldn't be banned as if it were racist/pro-Nazi."


I had a video banned for being racist against the French, and I wrote in to explain that my own daughter is French (and living in France, etc.).  I had a video talking about anti-Semitism with my daughter, in which I'm explaining to her that we're Jewish, and that we'll both have to cope with antisemitism our whole lives long, and this video was censored as if it were antisemitic.


In the past, appealing to human review was possible: now it is impossible.  And YouTube is incentivized to steal from its creators by running ads on demonetized videos.  It is not possible to get a human answer from a human being any more; and most of the employees are in India, and do not understand the English language (and American political subtleties) well enough to determine what is racist and what isn't (nor what is nudity and what isn't, what is educational and what isn't, etc.).


You have made your supporters into your enemies: this has become a company that creators hate.

E.M.